Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What Color Is The Sky In Your World?

Started playing around with the layout of my blog. I tried the columns on either side, two on one side, nope... not having it.

As my friend Jess said, "content to the left, index to the right". In other words, like I had it originally.

Day started off nice. Heard "Carole of the Bells" on my way to work. Blasted that noise to kingdom come. (LOVE THAT SONG! No matter what time of year.)

Work was okay today. Actually got to clock out at 9:15pm. Huzzah!!! Not sure how many days I'll have like that.

Co-worker found out about my holiday issue, and he said he'd check with his wife to see if he could work for me. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he did anyway. Turns out he can't which is fine, but I appreciate the offer.

When chatting with my manager about the schedule (I had texted my family to let them know of the change, and what they texted back almost made me weepy again), she had told me that the reason she didn't reach out to other people were that those people worked the last holiday. And the reason why she immediately went to me was because we had talked about it before, and I said I'd work it. She's fine with me reaching out to others to cover the shift (which yesterday she said "if anything comes up where it's possible to get you the day off, I'll let you know, but for the moment, expect 7-12"), but that was why I was picked.

So here's what I thought right after she left the office (which was essentially right after that conversation)...

  1. I was all set to work Thanksgiving Day... but a co-worker asked to take the shift. I didn't ask her, she asked me.
  2. Originally when working on this month's schedule, she had asked me if I would open Christmas Day, and I said sure. But when she made the schedule, she gave me Christmas Eve and left me off the next two days (and I also already have the weekend off).

I know we're open on the holidays. I get that. I don't know WHY we are, but I get it. And I expect I'll have to work on certain holidays, but DUDE! Me and one other person in this whole frakkin department go out of town for family. Everyone else is local. Furthermore - don't ask me to work something and then not schedule for the shift you asked me about and then email me with "this is your shift". WTF IS THAT MESS?!?!?!

I have been here about three years, and in the beginning, I dealt with the "low man on the totem pole" shit, but really?

In a meeting, some of the people in my department had expressed how they felt we were the dumping ground for everything other people didn't want to do, etc. And this whole "shift fuckery" is part of me... at least for me. I'm not claiming seniority, but dammit... why do the new people get whatever the frak they want, and I get the shaft?

She kept talking to me about my family and a part of me felt like she was checking my story out or something - like I didn't want to work the holiday and was making everything... which is bullshit since my desk is covered in pictures of my niece... HELLO?!?!?!? "So is all your family in Fresno?" No. My dad is in Oklahoma, and his mother (my only living grandparent) lives in SoCal. My mom, brother, niece, sister-in-law and her family all live in Fresno.

What do you want next? Blood sample? Next of kin? Prints? Alibi?

Okay, I'm getting bitchy. I just don't feel like I should be penalized for someone asking me to take my shift on one holiday and then get stuck with another shift the next holiday that I originally said I'd take when asked but no one gave me! And also it was supposed to be a mid-day shift that she switched to closing. Why? Who the FRAK knows?!

I SAID I'D WORK THOSE DAYS... and then they were taken away from me. Not because I requested them off or asked someone to take them. DO YOU HEAR THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH???

Sure, my family said that it was fine if I was there after Christmas or whatever, but the thing is... if I literally had to close Christmas Day, I would't get to Fresno until midnight which meant no Christmas with my family. Lady Boss said she understood, but I'm not sure she really does or retained any of what she said since - not to be mean - she's forgotten things more often than not. Hell, I asked her for my niece's birthday party weekend off A MONTH IN ADVANCE, and talked about it all the month of January and what happened? She scheduled me the day of the party... to CLOSE! When I brought it to her attention, she knew she had forgotten, but then wanted ME to find someone to cover.

Yeah, that's what I have to deal with.

The holidays are about family. It's shit that we are open on the major holidays, and I am willing to work those short shifts for those days, but frak me... it's my family! I should get to see my family on major holidays. Not due to religious beliefs or whatever, but because it's the holidays for frak sakes, that's why.

I need a beer... the size of Russia.

*headdesk*

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment