Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Letters to November ||| 5

Dear November,

Today my alarm clock was pain.

On a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being What pain? and 10 being OMFG! KILL ME NOW! - the initial pang was close to a 10 but tapered down to... maybe... a 6-7 before chilling the frak out.

What am I talking about, you ask? I'll tell you. I'm talking about charlie horses. (Man I hate those things.)

About an hour or so before my alarm was set to go off this morning, my body in all its glorious slumber slender stretches like bodies are wont to do, and as my legs straightened and my feet points, two giant boulder knots of pain shot from the mid-outer-portion of my calves and made me immediately pull into a ball and just wait for it to be over.

Needless to say I couldn't fall back asleep and walking became a chore. I was better after my morning shower, but I could still feel the "knots" when I walked if I fully extended my legs with each step. By the time I got to work, it was more irritating than painful, but there have been times when the knots appear trying to stretch them out is not exactly helpful. It's just one of those things where I have to wait... and in regards to this, waiting is no fun.

I have been told that it's a calcium thing, a hydration thing... I've personally only experienced it when it's been really cold. Once when I was really young, I had tossed and turned in bed, and one leg stuck out from the blankets. By morning, it was freezing in my room, and when I went to stretch, that one leg exposed to the cold air for who-knows-how-long was not pleased. I couldn't even straighten my leg all the way.

By the end of my work day, the ache/pain started to come back, and I started favoring my right leg, catering to a slight limp as I walked. (And of course the leg that was aching was the leg that was "hurt" during my car accident last year when a truck ran a red light and slammed into the left side of my car... which was SO not cool.) The left leg now has ankle issues, it's regular aches and pains, and not the ghost knot that is there but not there.

I wore two pairs of socks and my long Ugg type boots (Skechers) and so far everything is nice and toasty. I've since taken the boots off since I'm at home, but the socks are still on. I think I might have to buy a warm blanket to add to the two I already have.

In any case, I haven't really done any writing today, I feel like a loser and completely unaccomplished (save for this letter to you November), and now it's time for bed. Thanks for letting me vent to you.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment