Okay, I think this one will be a short post. So help me. LOL.
In thinking of what comfy foods I nosh on, I'm pretty sure they'd all be considered "bad" for you in one way or another. I'm just gonna start listing things off the top of my head...
- Grilled cheese and tomato soup. (Classic and yumscious.)
- Chips and dip are another one... especially if the dip is the special dip Alithea S's family makes. (So simple, and SO GOOD!)
- Things like chicken pot pie... or similar when I lived with my friend Kim - she'd make chicken and dumplings.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Shake (Baskins Robbins is deelish!!!)
- Pretty much anything my mom makes when I'm home... especially if it's Filipino food like adobo or pancit or lumpia - stuff I grew up with.
- Biscuits and gravy is another one.
- mac and cheese
- Peanut butter and jelly... or bacon... or banana... or pickle... or honey...
- Mochi is also a good one. I can go to an Asian market and buy a pack of mochi and finish the entire pack (which is usually nine pieces at least) in one sitting.
- Cracklin Oat Bran.
- Jessie F's Chicken Gouda Yummy Pizza thing!!!
- Various cocktails but usually ones with friends. A staple has become rum and cokes.
- Tea with milk and honey (a recent addition to the list). Also Malibu Kiss from Teazers in Fresno - usually have that with my bro when I'm visiting and having bro/sis time.
- chicken matzo ball soup
- Alithea's cheesey garlic bread!!!
- Chicken nuggets.
- Anything pork (ham, bacon, etc)
- Hummus. (GEOFF T!!!)
- Cheese curd... or just some really good cheese.
So essentially carbs and fried, greasy things.
*looks over list* That's a lot, isn't it?
As to the WHY of it all? I'm not really sure.
Some of it reminds me of home but not a childhood home or anything, just that homey feeling of curling up under a blanket with a nice cup of tea and a book... and maybe some nice little snacky treat like soup on a cold day or a chicken pot pie while you watch Die Hard in your footie jammies.
And some of it could be things I don't have as often (a sometimes food), and when I get it, it's a treat, and I cherish it.
I think the list above are things that I eat or desire more of the time - things that initially come to mind even though being a foodie that loves to try new things all the time I know there are more items out there that I would enjoy.
The point is aside from a few basic bits and bobs off the list, my comfort foods have evolved into something similar to PMS cravings. I've been told that the reason I crave juicy, greasy burgers during that special time of the month is because my body is telling me I need iron. So in the same regard, when I'm feeling down or slightly bummed or in need of some kind of comfort, my body (stomach/brain) will tell me what to nosh on to make it feel better or at least feel like I've been given a good hug or snuggle.
Right now? I'm stressing over gathering copies of documents for an upcoming appointment. What would make me feel better is some really good cheese and a PB&J sammie.
But I'll settle for sleep. (Goodnight!)
Later my lovelies.
PS... I was so sure this would be a short post, but then again... I was talking about food. ^_^