Monday, January 5, 2015

Snacky Cakes? Good Day!

Day 5: What are your favorite comfort foods and why?

Okay, I think this one will be a short post. So help me. LOL.

In thinking of what comfy foods I nosh on, I'm pretty sure they'd all be considered "bad" for you in one way or another. I'm just gonna start listing things off the top of my head...
  • Grilled cheese and tomato soup. (Classic and yumscious.)
  • Chips and dip are another one... especially if the dip is the special dip Alithea S's family makes. (So simple, and SO GOOD!)
  • Things like chicken pot pie... or similar when I lived with my friend Kim - she'd make chicken and dumplings.
  • Peanut Butter Chocolate Shake (Baskins Robbins is deelish!!!)
  • Pretty much anything my mom makes when I'm home... especially if it's Filipino food like adobo or pancit or lumpia - stuff I grew up with. 
  • Biscuits and gravy is another one.
  • mac and cheese
  • SUSHI
  • Peanut butter and jelly... or bacon... or banana... or pickle... or honey...
  • Mochi is also a good one. I can go to an Asian market and buy a pack of mochi and finish the entire pack (which is usually nine pieces at least) in one sitting.
  • Cracklin Oat Bran.
  • Jessie F's Chicken Gouda Yummy Pizza thing!!!
  • Paella!!!
  • Various cocktails but usually ones with friends. A staple has become rum and cokes.
  • Tea with milk and honey (a recent addition to the list). Also Malibu Kiss from Teazers in Fresno - usually have that with my bro when I'm visiting and having bro/sis time.
  • Nachos.
  • chicken matzo ball soup
  • Alithea's cheesey garlic bread!!!
  • Chicken nuggets.
  • Anything pork (ham, bacon, etc)
  • Hummus. (GEOFF T!!!)
  • Churros.
  • Cheese curd... or just some really good cheese.
So essentially carbs and fried, greasy things.

*looks over list* That's a lot, isn't it?

As to the WHY of it all? I'm not really sure. 

Some of it reminds me of home but not a childhood home or anything, just that homey feeling of curling up under a blanket with a nice cup of tea and a book... and maybe some nice little snacky treat like soup on a cold day or a chicken pot pie while you watch Die Hard in your footie jammies.

And some of it could be things I don't have as often (a sometimes food), and when I get it, it's a treat, and I cherish it.

I think the list above are things that I eat or desire more of the time - things that initially come to mind even though being a foodie that loves to try new things all the time I know there are more items out there that I would enjoy.

The point is aside from a few basic bits and bobs off the list, my comfort foods have evolved into something similar to PMS cravings. I've been told that the reason I crave juicy, greasy burgers during that special time of the month is because my body is telling me I need iron. So in the same regard, when I'm feeling down or slightly bummed or in need of some kind of comfort, my body (stomach/brain) will tell me what to nosh on to make it feel better or at least feel like I've been given a good hug or snuggle.

Right now? I'm stressing over gathering copies of documents for an upcoming appointment. What would make me feel better is some really good cheese and a PB&J sammie.

But I'll settle for sleep. (Goodnight!)

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

PS... I was so sure this would be a short post, but then again... I was talking about food. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment