Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Husband, My Boyfriend, My Lover, My Friend

Day 21: What is one of your favorite TV shows and why?

Being single (and The Media Whore which I've been called by some of my friends... though I've heard others called that in recent years so perhaps we're a club like The Pink Ladies or something... maybe we should get matching jacket, jerseys or bowling shirts) I love my TV. It is my constant companion when the world is otherwise dark.

And you want me to pick a favorite amongst the many shows that have entertained and comforted me through the ages?

Oh gawd, just one?

Okay, since I'm blogging, and two came to mind toward the top of my currently watched or watching list, I'm going to talk about them both.

Why? Because they both share similar traits in why I love them... and because I said so. So there!

The two shows that came to mind are SCANDAL and THE NEWSROOM.

Both are written and created by people whose work I have always enjoyed greatly over the years: Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice) and Aaron Sorkin (Sports Night, West Wing, Studio 60). The cast of each show are completely amazing and work so well together that you even forget - sometimes - these are characters and not real people.

Shonda seems to be taking over TV it seems. I fell in love with Grey's Anatomy instantly and loved Private Practice. I'm sad that Off the Map didn't last longer, but she made up for it with Scandal (and her latest series How To Get Away With Murder.

Scandal is just delicious. It's got a whole mess of everything that keeps me glued to it. The first episode alone was amazing. And the performances are always top notch and damn... just damn! (And I mean that in a good way.)

And also there's Aaron Sorkin who is also wonderful and needs to do more. Fell in love with his stuff in the movieverse, but in the tv-verse, I first fell for him with Sports Night... then The West Wing... then Studio 60... and most recently The Newsroom.

Since Studio 60, I had been waiting for an Aaron Sorkin fix, and when I found out The Newsroom was coming... and was going to be on HBO... I squee'd greatly. Jeff Daniels is fantastic as the lead to this ensemble piece, and each character holds their own and is wonderful in their own unique way and has their own voice. And I TOTALLY didn't know that Daniels knew how to play the guitar! If I could have more of Will and Jim (John Gallagher, Jr) playing more guitar and singing... that would have just been the awesomesauce cherry on the frakkin faboo sundae of my fandom.

Ugh, I feel like I'm starting to babble, so I'll just say this before signing off...

Both shows are written brilliantly with a cast of people whose chemistry just explodes from the page through the camera and the television to us. (And it's all happy-making!)

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment