Wednesday, January 14, 2015

More Games - More Fun

Day 14: What is your earliest memory?

So I kinda touched on this back in the post about my favorite childhood toys. I feel like I should just copy and paste what I wrote there since I'll essentially be repeating myself.

But let's give this a go, shall we?

I'm not sure why... maybe it was a book I was reading or a movie I saw or just me being... me. But I started to think "What is my earliest memory?"

My mind immediately went to the Atari 2600 we had as kids (pre-divorce). I used that as a jumping off point, and then tried to push further back, but nothing came to mind.

I later called my brother and asked him, "When did we get the Atari?" Immediately he said, "July 1978." (I can't remember the actual date he said, but my brother's mind is a machine about some things.) Then we got to talking about why I was asking, and I told him. He then told me that his earliest memory was - and I could totally be getting this wrong - was being breast fed by our mom, and I think he said he felt this fuzzy fur coat type of thing on his cheek. I think he also said he can't remember if that was an actual memory or a dream. I'm banking on dream, but that's just me.

But back to the Atari.

First game system my family ever owned.

The memory in my head is vivid. I'm sitting in the living room during the day... I was about 1 1/2 years old at this point. In the living room, the front door was on the left, and there was a window that took up about half the length of the wall of the front of the house. I remember seeing blue sky and white clouds through the thin drapes - curtains had been pulled back. I remember the door opening, and my dad walking in with this giant black box which held out Atari 2600.

That's really all I remember of that moment - not the opening of the box or setting it up or playing our first game - just my dad walking in with the box... and looking happy.
...
...
...
And I guess that's where I'll end it.

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment