Friday, January 16, 2015

Mainstream Music?

Day 16: What are your views on mainstream music?

Okay, this one required a little research.

According to Urban Dictionary: Mainstream is what's the new trend, when one "style" gets old, a new one is reborn, a mainstream person is someone who jumps from trend to trend so that they fit in with the rest of the crowd. Mainstream is being what society thinks you should be, and look like.

I also looked at other places like Dictionary.com and Wiktionary, but they pretty much all seem to be saying the same thing so let me start here.

I was someone who liked things no one else liked. I liked going to school and learning and eating my vegetables and reading... and back in the day, if you didn't like or do the same things your peers did (or even what adults thought you should be liking or doing), you were ostracized to loserville.

I will admit back then it hurt and somewhere down the line I started wanting to be like everyone else, but then I learned pretty quickly that being me and who I really was - that was the most important thing.

With that being said, you can't really teach someone to be an individual. It has to come from within. I would hate to think that there are people out there - that their real identity isn't to be a follower. I like the idea that we all dance to the beat of our drum and together we make an amazing symphony.

But until that day comes, we will all have to find our way. So there will be those that will do what others do until they know what to do themselves, and in the meantime I will continue to be the chooser of things I let into my life and listen to what I want to listen to and go from there.

Later my lovelies,

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment