Saturday, January 10, 2015

No Guilt, Just Pleasure

Day 10: What is your guilty pleasure?

Isn't a guilty pleasure supposed to be something you're embarrassed by?

Hold on, let me look this up. (Hello internet...)

According to Wikipdia... A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, such as campy styles of entertainment. Fashion, video games, music, theatre, television series, films, junk food and fetishes can be examples of guilty pleasures.

According to Urban Dictionary... Something that you shouldn't like, but like anyway. (A cigarette every now and then is a guilty pleasure for me.)

When I was younger, I cared a little more about what people thought of me and all that made me up (meaning my likes, dislikes, etc). I'm not saying that I don't care anymore, but the intensity of it isn't as strong, and I don't care about it as much.

With that said, as of right now? Nope, I have no guilty pleasures since I openly like or take enjoyment out of  the things that make me smile or laugh... so nope, I'm all good.

I think the only thing that I am truly guilty of would probably be schadenfreude (satisfaction of pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune). This probably hearkens back to the old Warner Bros cartoons - most popularly Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. I think about all the people that talk about video games being violent for kids, etc, but dude... have you looked at cartoons? Yeah, so video games are a little more realistic in their look nowadays, but that doesn't take back the violence of getting shot in the face or having giant weight dropped on you from the sky or falling off a cliff or... well you get my meaning.

Now I don't know if that's where my love of the wrong started, but I note that as an early example that I was exposed to back in the day. Hanging out with my friends, we'll see someone ass out and immediately giggle but at the same time be saying "Are they okay? Do they need anything?" Why we laugh, I have no idea. There is someone who is potentially hurt. I have even laughed at myself after falling down. I remember people rushing to me "Are you okay?" and there I am giggling like a madwoman saying I'm fine. In the end, I suffered mainly a bruise - and that could have also been me utilizing the "laugh at myself before they laugh at me" rule, but meh...  - in the end, I was good.

So yeah, aside from laughing at things like Jackass or old cartoons - which I'm not really embarrassed about though I do get looks every once in a while from people that think I'm weird or cold-hearted, etc. I'm not. I care. Especially if the incident results in something seriously wrong - like when I got t-boned in my Jeep two years cuz some fucker ran a red light. Yeah... that wasn't something to laugh at... well, right away. I made snarky jokes at the ER which the attendant questioned me on, and I remember telling her "Gotta keep laughing to keep from crying, right?" Then she understood.

Aaaand... that should be it for this one.

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment