Friday, July 29, 2016

Q&A - They Might Be Roberta Flack

Write about something you purchased used.
A long, long, LONG time ago when Tower Records was still around, I went in not really looking for anything... seeing what I could see - if anything jumped out at me... and after a while, I started thinking of bands that I didn't have any albums of.

They Might Be Giants came to mind, so I tracked down their albums in the USED section, and grabbed the only copy of Flood I could find.

I don't remember if I listened to it right away or not since I most likely bought a few other albums, but I do remember when I did, I was confused. The first track was just an intro track about 20 seconds long  I had immediately bumped it to the second track which was Birdhouse In Your Soul. I already had the song playing in my head when I hit play - Not to put too fine a point on it. Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet - and what came out... was not Birdhouse In Your Soul.

It was Killing Me Softly by Roberta Flack.

I remember staring at the stereo, skipping back to the beginning of the track, and every time it would start the same as it had before...

Strumming my pain with his fingers...
Singing my life with his words...

I ejected the disc and stared at it.

The artwork on the disc was They Might Be Giants.

The CD sleeve was They Might Be Giants.

But the music on the CD was Roberta Flack.

I remember letting the album play and occasionally singing along, but my mind tried to figure why anyone would take an album, wipe it clean, and re-burn a different album onto it. I like both artists, but for frak sakes. I was expecting Flood. I wanted to hear Flood.

Have you ever been expecting one thing and then get something completely different?

I remember when I was younger someone handed me a cup of fruit punch... which turned out to be wine cooler. My taste buds and my brain were expecting fruit punch, but when it wasn't fruit punch, it made me grumbly.

Okay, I'm babbling now, but I think you get what I mean, yeah?

I think I still have the CD somewhere in storage. I decided to keep it purely for the oddity of it all. But still... don't have any They Might Be Giant music.

*sigh*

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment