Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Early Mornings & Killing Jokes

Why so serious?
Last week a co-worker asked if we could switch shifts she had a doctor's appointment. I told her sure... so today I opened at 7am, and she took my mid-shift that started at 10am.

Work was the usual grind. Opening shift's lunch is at 1pm, and I only take 30min so I can get out earlier. I went a little late due to work-crap getting in the way. By the time I returned to my desk and was about to start on my reports and next day calls, I was approached by the dude that heads the Ops Meetings every two weeks. I literally had my fingertips about to land on my keyboard when he came by to say that since our department manager was out on maternity leave, they needed a CS rep and said I had been nominated.

I immedately thought about time since 1. I wanted to make sure I had enough time to do the rest of what I needed to do before I left work, and 2. The meeting is for managers who are fine when it comes to overtime, but for us regular folk, it's not acceptable.

So I asked him how long the meeting would take, and it's about an hour (just like my department's weekly meeting). The meeting itself only happens every two weeks, but every other meeting the boss man sits in, and those times can have the meeting go into overtime.

The meeting was just starting, so I grabbed my notepad, pen, cell phone and Boba drink I ordered fro lunch - told Chris D what was happening and asked if she could the out of state next day calls for me since I have no idea how long the meeting would really take.

Thankfully the meeting lasted exactly as long as promised, and I had just enough time to finish my end of shift report, (I had been assigned some tasks that were originally assigned to Kassie, but she gave birth early, we as a department didn't have any time to review assignments, etc, while she would be away. On top of that, I don't feel comfortable contacting her since she did just have a baby to say "Hey, so... I'm in the meetings for you so you want to run down all these things they told me about and how you were doing them and what documents you were using, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum?"

Ya feel me?

She's supposed to come in once she's newly motherly settled to review all the CS stuff with us and then go back on leave... but who knows when that's going to happen. (My work isn't the best when it comes to communication. Most of the time I only 'know' stuff since I hear it being discussed near me.)

But eventually work was over, and I headed to Fremont to meet John R to see Batman: The Killing Joke. I knew traffic was going to be crap, so I headed over after work... and then got off the freeway since it was so slow I was about to pass out... then took side streets (that were construction coned off to one lane... but no constuction was going on)... and even though it was REALLY slow and annoying to get there, I got there EARLY!!!

I sat in my car with the A/C on part of the time while I waited and listened to the end of End of Watch while playing games on my phone. When I couldn't take the heat anymore, I got out of my car and walked around. (Of course I was parked in the shade of the theatre building where there was NO BREEZE!!!)

So true confessions time... I have never read The Killing Joke. In going to see the movie, I was told that there was Batgirl stuff in the beginning, and what was hilarious was that I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, people seemed REALLY pissed, and yeah, I get it. I don't think it was necessary and am not clear as to why it was there, but in the grand scheme of things it could have been MUCH worse.

And then after the Batgirl stuff was over, John leaned over to me and said "this is where the comic book starts." LOL.

I had a good time, but then Mark Hamill as the Joker? Come on now. No one better really.

After the movie, we went in search of boba and got all turned around since we were walking about the lots. Oddly, there was a boba place right around the corner from the theatre but John saw a Tapioca Express and wanted to go there... so we did. (I didn't notice the other place until we were walking back.)

On the way home, I listened to the rest of End of Watch (I had been on the last disc and refused to turn it back into the library until I finished it... which happened on the way home.) Went straight to library, dropped off the audiobook (that was only a day late), and went home.

And here we are.

Sleep now.

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment