Friday, March 29, 2013

Looking Forward To A Long Weekend Nap

It's funny how people see me and treat me, since I'm really just a simple boring person.
-Finbar McBride from the movie "The Station Agent"

Oh yeah. It's Friday! (listen to that fanfare)

Did I write anything? No.

Have I thought about writing? Yeah.

Do I know what I'm doing? Not really.

Do you know what I'm doing? Probably not.

Would I rather be napping? Hell yeah.

Will I stop with the questions? Sure. For now.

Currently on my lunch break. Doodling about on this blog trying to think of something that I could blog about.

Tuesday when I got into work, it was kind of poopy. Wes H opened and got to the office at 7am. I was next at 9am. He took his break shortly after I got in, and it was then that the feces hit the oscillating cooling device... HARD.

A customer we have in Canada ordered from a restaurant that they love, but their order was different (due to, we found out later on, the bread that the restaurant had ordered). We have a live chat service where people can chat instead of call or email, etc, to ask questions or whatever. From this one customer... HOLY CRAP! Usually on the live chat, I get at the most three at a time, and usually it's one I'm finishing, one that's midway done, and one that just logged in. Yesterday I had almost ten. And then there was the phone... and... EGADS!!! So when Wes got back, I filled him in on what was going on, and we took care of it together... sort of. (I told him that since I had collected the information and had to deal with all that crap ALONE that he could call the restaurant while I called the driver company for the redelivery.

It was essentially a cluster, and neither of us were happy at all.

But then later that day I received a call that made me smile and giggle.

An elderly woman called in to ask questions about our service. Essentially we pick up food with restaurants we're contracted with and deliver them to the people that ordered it. I work in the customer service department. I gave her the low down on how everything worked, and she in turn decided that she and her husband were going to sign up with us. They said originally if they had planned to order for food, they would just have someone place the order for them (I guess they don't have a computer or they do and are just not too savvy at navigating about the interwebs). When I told them I could take their order over the phone, they were very happy with that... well, I should say the woman was happy with that since I was mainly talking to her. Shirley and her husband Herman were old and lived together in an apartment and don't get around as well as they used to so if they could get food delivered to them, that would be swell.

I took down her information to sign her up for an account. The first thing that made me giggle was how she spelled certain things out for me and some she didn't. For example, when she gave me her name, she would say her name and then spell it. Like if her name was Jane Doe, she would say, "Jane. That's J as in jump. A as in apple. N as in Nancy, E as in Egg."

Totally random, but why when some people spell names out like that do they use other names? What if someone didn't know how to spell 'Nancy'?

Onwards...

So she continued to her last name but stopped at the first letter. Like "Last name Doe. That's D as in Doe." And that was it. I wondered 1) why ddi she stop spelling her name out for me (which was actually much longer than my example though I knew how to spell it anyway), and 2) why give me her last name as an example of the first letter?

Then when she was giving me her address information, she felt the need to spell out the street she lived on... which was POST... I had it already typed out before I heard her pronounce the T and just waited as she spelled it out for me.

When I got to the email portion, she said in a cute little whisper, "My husband doesn't like to give it out." I told her I would try to sign them up without it although it's good to have just in case. After I filled everything in, it told me I was missing information (email and password stuff). I created a password for them since they're always going to call in to place an order, so I told her...

Me: Shirley, looks like I need an email address.
Shirley: You do? Okay. Let me go get Herman. [holds phone away from her face] HERMAN! [comes back to the phone] I'm going to tell him to give you his email, but don't try to talk to him. He won't be able to hear you. [holds phone away again] HERMAN! [from away from the phone] HERMAN!
Herman; [in the distance] WHAT?!
Shirley: The lady needs your email number.
Herman: EH?!
Shirley: The lady needs your email number.
Herman: She needs my email?
Shirley: Yes.
Herman: [mumbling to himself]
Shirley: Just give her your email number.
Herman: [eventually gets on the phone] Hello?!
Me: Hello.
Herman: She says you need my email.
Me: Yes.
Herman: Okay. Let me go to my office. It's in there. [shuffles off to office with phone] I'm still here. I'm just old and slow.
Me: [stifling a laugh] Okay.
Herman: [gets to office] Okay. You ready?
Me: I'm ready. 
Herman: [gives me email address] You get that?
Me: [repeats email] Yes, Herman, I got it.
Herman: Okay. Thank you. Bye bye. [hangs up]

At this point, I let loose my giggles before I called back, but I got a busy signal. A few minutes later, the phone rang, I answered, and after I said the name of the company, my name, and 'How can I help you?", I hear Shirley say next, "He did hang up," and sigh. She made cute little comments like "That's my Herman," etc, and then we finished setting up her account. She gave me her credit card information, and I sent her out a catalog.

The entire experience, although longer than it should have lasted, was adorable and entertaining and definitely brightened my mood.

Today, the wonderful Jess F picked me up to take me to my chiropractor appointment. As we drove off from my house, a co-worker of mine texted me to ask if I was coming in today. I said I was though not until 10am, and I was on my way to the chiropractor. She was running late and was supposed to open this morning at 7am (and had no car). I gave her Addie F's number (who was coming in at 9am) and suggested a way she could get Marla A's number. After my appointment, Jess took me to work. I got here around 8:30am, but as I neared the door, I thought, "Is anyone here?" Walking through dispatch, I saw customer service was empty, so I clocked in to help out until others showed up. I called Caroline and left her a message. Addie came in at 9am and Caroline made it in shortly after that. When Wes showed up, I let him know what happened this morning, and he said that I could leave around 5:30pm if I wanted although our boss would most likely approve the OT if I wanted to stay until my original time of 7pm. As tempting as OT is, I'm tired so I think I'll just head home and pass out.

Trying to figure out car situations for the weekend. I have a "going away" party to attend for Novim S as well as trying to fit in actual car shopping since I received my (property damage) settlement check in the mail yesterday. I have a car for the month of April to use until I actually get a car, but it's a matter of finding a reliable, dependable car before the end of the month is the thing. Also not sure if I'm getting any money back from my taxes due to the major frak up from last year. I'm sure the amount that I sent in will be frakked this year either the amount owed from last year deducted from this year's refund or (worst case scenario) I get nothing at all.

Woo hoo! Fun! (<===sarcasm)

Stupid cough still hasn't gone away, but (I think) it's getting better. The right side of my chest is a little achey when I cough too hard, and I'm almost out of Robitussin DM. It's gone from dry to wet to dry again... so I think it's going to go away for good soon. (Damn you sinuses. Why do you have to be so dificult?)

My mom is sending me a package. It's already been confirmed many times that my mother is terrible at keeping a secret. Granted the pic that my brother made of me and my niece - a photoshopped pic of me and my niece, both of us at Christmas when we were two years old (I think) - but my mom was also (in front of me) asking my brother, "Did you do the thing with the thing?" You know... that kind of obvious sly talk? When I finally opened the envelope and saw the pic, I was so touched I started to cry a little, and my mom said, "See! You like it, huh?" and all kinds of happy that her idea was so awesome. In any case, my mom now is keen on sending me little packages. She sent one a couple weeks ago with some gloves I let her borrow and left at her place as well as a couple blouses and some spending cash. (Gotta love parents and their care packages.) In any case, she called twice while I was at work Wednesday and left messages both times (which is odd for her since she doesn't like leaving messages). She sounded really excited each message even saying she was "really excited" because she was sending me something. So then I called her back when I got off work and was walking to the lightrail. Then she called me yesterday on my day off and kept trying to hint at what she got me. (She eventually told me.)

I'm cool with my mom getting me clothes now since back in the day she would buy me things that were not my tastes... more hers... or what she would like to see me in regardless if it actually looked good on me or not. It took MANY YEARS for my mother to start buying me clothes that were actually close to my taste or things that I liked.

Now she's doing it with slightly pricey things.

Let me start off by saying I'm not a name brand person at all. I'm all about buying the generic or shopping at thrift stores or wearing off brands that you would find at the likes of Kmart, WalMart, Kohl's or even Montgomery Ward or Mervyn's back in the day. My mother, on the other hand, LOVES name brands. She will always show off her purse to me (again, in that obvious sly way) and point out that it's Liz Claiborne or whatever. Me? I'm picky about my purses. I don't need them to be too big - they just need to be big enough to fit my wallet, keys, gum, compact, lip balm, a pen or two and maybe a notebook and/or a paperback book. I don't like velcro or magnets. I have certain issues with the length of a strap of a shoulder bag.

Yeah. I'm picky. Also I'm a tomboy and not into collecting a billion purses, shoes, etc.

I would spend FOREVER going through purses at Target or wherever looking for something that fit my needs and didn't annoy the frak out of me. But those were reasonably inexpensive but also died quicker than i would like leaving me to go hunting all over again. So I thought maybe if I invested a little more moola into a better made bag, I would have it longer and not have to buy replacement bags so often. I had gone to the COACH store in the mall and looked at various bags and found a couple that I thought were cute, but only one that I liked and fit my personal aesthetic specs. Then I went to the COACH OUTLET STORE and couldn't find anything there that I truly liked.

And I made the mistake of mentioning my COACH browsing to my mother. I think all she heard was COACH and thought "My daughter wants a COACH bag. YAY!" So she bought me one. It's nice, but not the one I had been looking at in the store. Also it doesn't sit upright when I set it down. She'd said that if we found one that I liked, that we'd get it, and she'd take the other one.

So she's sending me another purse... and some other stuff. I told her that although I love the gesture, I'm really picky with my purses so I wish she wouldn't buy them for me without me or consulting me first. Blouses are one thing since my mom finds greats sales, etc, so that's nothing. It's easy to take it someplace and exchange it or whatever. But a purse? A COACH purse? Yeah. I'd rather get it right the first time. So she said that she still had the receipt if I wanted to return it so we'll see. She sent it for delivery today so it should be there when I get home today.

I hope I like it.

In other news, Jimbo agreed to go car shopping with me this weekend. There's a plan for shopping and looking at a few cars at least on Sunday and then go to their place for nom noms and GAME OF THRONES!!!

Okay, I've babbled on long enough. My plan for when I get home is to just pass the frak out, but who knows. Maybe I'll write something.

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

PS... Have an awesome Easter/Bunny/Sunday/GameOfThronesSeasonThreeStartsDay. And if you want, you can send me an Easter basket filled with Peeps, Cadbury Eggs and other assorted goodies. (*sigh* How I miss getting Easter baskets. And they never seem to have any turtle ones. *pout*)


No comments:

Post a Comment