Thursday, January 10, 2019

*The Ratio of People To Cake Is Too Big*

from a random Google "Milton" search

*******

Q: Was today typical? Why or why not?
A: Yes... and no. I was at work all day. And then I went home.
Q&A a Day: A 5-Year Journal

Happy Thought of the Day (HTOTD): Food
The Happiness Project - One-Sentence Journal/The Happiness Project/Gretchen Rubin

*******
Right now my nose hurts... and that's okay.

I'm sitting at my desk writing out whatever comes to mind, and the first thing was raised its hand and said "OH PICK ME PICK ME!!!" was my nose. (I didn't even mean to make that joke, but hahaha - good one me.)

It's really just my sinuses. They feel swollen or whatever. There's nothing in there though I could be wrong since when I cleaned my nose out earlier, the content consistency was gooey and stringy so... yeah. There may be sinus spackle up in there that I can't get to.

And I really don't want to do a sinus rinse. I really don't. But I might have to. Ick! 

Oh crap! Would I have to take my sinus rinse stuff to Vegas next month? Gross!

Nothing much to report today. Had The Original Pancake House for today's department meeting. Coconut Pancakes. So good. They made me happy. I ate them all -- and feel happy and fat because of it. During our meeting, we discussed the new guy, and what we thought of his progress, etc. There seem to be a number of aggravations that aren't very happy making to say the least, but the one that really gets me is that he's sort of a "yes" man even if it's not really the answer he should be or wants to give... or knows to give. 

His first week or so with us, he was fine. The other lead in the department trained him and had nothing but good, positive things to say about him. Then I started working with him, and things started to decline-ish. I didn't get to interview him - my boss did - and I have no idea what he talks about in interviews. (Yes, he interviewed me, but that was a long time ago, and he was one of many people I spoke with. I think I had 2-3 interviews or something like that.) 

But the "yes" man thing... that's what irks me. 

It's that type of "yes" or "uh-huh" - that affirmative noise that a boyfriend or husband gives their woman when they're talking to them during a sports game or something, and they just say "yes honey - whatever you say, dear." We all know damn well they heard nothing, and then later when asked, they're "yes dear" minus the retention of the conversation makes things worse.

When we - and I mean the entire team - explain something to him during training or when he asks for help, afterward we'll say "Does that make sense?" or "Okay?" and he just doles out a monosyllabic affirmation, and when does that with me, I get the "nope, you don't get it" feeling, and I'm right.

For the most part, he's pretty decent, but there are some instances where he needs improvement or correction, and he doesn't seem to understand what we're saying. There was a day where he asked the same question three times within the hour. So no sweetie pie - you don't get it. And that's okay. But don't say you do when you really don't.

My co-lead and I were planning on having a little meeting with him to check on him to see how he was doing, how he felt, if he needed any extra training, etc. But then during the meeting, another department we work with came in starting with "Can one of you talk to him, cuz yo boy-." And it just got worse from there. We handled the situation, and we realized we needed to talk to him today.

Everyone left and we stayed in the conference room, and we asked one of the ladies to ask him to join us. I heard one of them say "I'll take care of that order so you can go meet with them." Apparently, he questioned why he had to go to the conference room with us. She explained we wanted to talk with him, and still, he didn't move and continued to work. My co-lead looked at me and said "Should I go get him?" and I rolled my eyes and said "Yes."

When he finally got into the room, I was to start and then she'd add on, and I tried to ease in as best I could. I would bring up a point, and he'd ask a couple questions or make a couple comments, and in the end, I would ask if that made any sense of if he had any questions, and he'd quickly say he was good, and I'd move on. He continued to say he didn't need any more training, that he thought he got everything and was doing a good job. 

Then we brought up some points that we had noticed - including the issue from today - and he started doing the second thing (which is really a close tie with the first thing) that irks us - he mumbles. Not just mumbles but says things under his breath. I joke that he's like the Asian chic from Pitch Perfect, but it feels worse and less comical than that. Sort of like a creepy (in a bad way) hybrid of Lilly (Pitch Perfect) and Milton (Office Space). The mumbling makes me think of kids who are getting scolded and in front of their parents, they mumble stuff that usually gets them into further trouble.

But where parents can spank their kids (if they so choose), you can't really hit your co-workers.

I just remember one of the guys we had before. He was sent to us by a temp agency who then later applied for the position he was sent in for. He was originally supposed to just help out in the mornings for a short period of time, but seeing as we needed staff, and he had applied, my boss said that his work would be his interview. Our office manager at the time showed me his resume which had no job history at all so he had no work experience (or in this case - office experience). So we trained him, worked with him, and he'd always ask how much longer he'd be working with the temp agency, and we said we were still in the temporary phase (aka audit phase), and we would let him know. But instead, he'd bug the office manager, our boss, etc, and the entire time, he didn't really work.

Example - he would ask for help on something, and I'd try to explain what he had to do to solve the issue, and he would cut me off with a huff and say "Can you just do it?" With that kind of attitude, you wonder why we didn't hire you. (He was working on a weekend, and he was chatting with staff from a different department who asked him if he was going to work with us or not. One of my team heard the temp say something like we were jerking him around and playing him. And when my teammate tried to get more info out of him, he didn't say anything.

My co-lead and I had a meeting with him to check on his work, etc, and he claimed he didn't need any more training or help - that he was fine. But he wasn't. He was asking the same question over and over, passing off stuff to other people, and also not communicating with us about how he was feeling or what he was thinking - even though we had reached out to him, and he said he was fine. In the end, I had instructed to do something a certain way, and he said okay. Later that week, I noticed he wasn't doing it the way I had told him to. He insisted he liked doing it the way he was doing it. I told him I understood that, but he had to do it the way I had instructed since it was the process everyone uses. He repeatedly outright defied me, and my team heard it.

We let him go after that day.

But with this new temp - the whole saying he's okay when we all know he's still rough around the edges. Asking him if he needs any extra training, and he turns it down. (On a side note - we have another temp that started after him, and she specifically asked to have extra training since she wasn't getting it. Did you get that? She was COMMUNICATING!!!)

I just don't want Lilly/Milton to snap and be like the other temp... but I'm expecting it.

[sigh]

Other than that, work was all right. I left around 4pm, tried to run a quick errand but couldn't find my measurements for certain apartment things so I went home. I did a load of laundry, played some Spider-Man, cooked some dinner, wrote here...

Rollerskating canceled for my niece's birthday due to the rink postponing their reopen date. Per my brother, it was supposed to reopen late last year, and now it's pushed a month or so - so really no one knows. So now it's Color Me Mine and a pizza party.

I should really get some sleep. I had a lovely full eight hours yesterday since I went home sick-ish, but then had issues getting back to sleep. But at least I didn't wake up nauseous. Woot! (Then again I had to deal with work crap so... no woot.)

All right. I'll sign off for now. Speak at everyone later.

Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment