Friday, December 1, 2017

Blogmas - Day 1

And so it begins...

Vlogmas - Take-Two... a year later?

Being a fan of various creators on YouTube, I had been aware of Vlogmas for a long time, but I don't think me on video should necessarily be experienced by anyone. I just don't think I'll that interesting or whatever, and I live in that "WHY ME?" phase of "WHY would anyone watch videso of ME?"

Hence the written word.

I tried this last year, but it didn't work out very well. I think life got in the way (like it always does), but this year, I'm going to try my hardest to do it this year.

Baby steps and all that.

So... let's start with today.

Today was a long day. Frak, it's been a long week. To be honest, it feels a lot longer than that, but I try to take it one day at a time. And the occasional cocktail or beer never hurt either.

In thinking about all the issues and stresses my job gives me, it basically boils down to one major key thing: communication. (So pardon the following stream of conscious ramble about communication.)

LISTENING

You need to really listen to what's being said to communicate and communicate well.

I have often found myself in a situation where I'm asking a simple question like "Did you speak with Mr. Jones?" - and the person I'm asking replies with "I like French fries."

Don't play with your phone. Don't talk with the person next to you. Don't stare at the wall/floor/ceiling.

Look at the person who is talking to you and take notes if necessary. (Write down questions you might have about what is being discussed so when that time of the meeting comes around, you can go back to it.)

COMPREHENSION

Some people can be told something and boom! - they got it, and it's taken care of. Others need a little extra help or clarification. Both are okay. I would rather take the time so everyone has it then have everyone go off to work and only have a portion of the team doing the right thing.

There are no dumb questions - only ignorant people. And what I mean by this is that if someone is discussing something - work or not - and you don't understand, you need to ask questions. I've worked with a number of people in my life who have boasted that they were going to bring up this or that in a meeting, and when it got to the time "Does anyone have any questions or anything they want to bring up?" - nothing. Then later they're by the water cooler griping and groaning per usual. (In that example - you can't be mad if you make no effort to make a change.)

I've also been in a number of meetings when something is explained and then asked "Does everyone understand?" and everyone nods. Then later whatever was brought up that everyone supposedly understood is still being done incorrectly.

Refer to the notes you took and ask the questions you have if they weren't answered in some other way during the meeting. And if you need clarification, ask for it. A way to prove you have understood what someone has said is to be able to repeat what they said without using the same words. So if you can do that to the person who originally gave you the information, and they confirm you're correct, you're on the right track.

RESPONSE

How you react to what has been discussed is key to executing whatever task is assigned to you.

You've listened, taken notes, and even asked questions, but now you have to get shit done.

As a team, you should devise a plan and/or a process on how to make the project run smoothly with the least amount of problems as well as plan for any "just in case" scenarios along the way. Sometimes you may even need to create a plan for yourself on how to get your portion of the assignment done. And if you need help with anything - ASK! Don't just sit there letting stuff pile up and then when the due date comes, and you have nothing to show for it, the result will not be good.

*******

And thus ends my babble about work.

I could very easily go on a rant about my work life right now, but I won't. I've been trying to keep that shit at the office and enjoy my time away from there. I won't deny there is that slight bit of anxiety and "oh frak no" feeling when Sunday starts to come to a close, but overall, leaving work at work is greatly helpful... as is the occasional beer or cocktail.

Later my lovelies!

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment