Monday, October 5, 2015

Reading Challenges



Every once in a while, I get the crazy notion to do some kind of challenge whether it be a writing challenge or a picture/instagram challenge... or (in this case) a book challenge.

My reading speed isn't as fast as it used to be. I don't think I read any slower per se, I think nowadays it's just finding time to read (or having the energy to). What I really need is a rainy day, a couple days off, a pile a books and a comfy snuggly bed... only getting up every once in a while to snack, refill my mug with tea, or visit the little girls room.

In any case, I have decided to try and fix this with a few book challenges.

GOODREADS

So I've tried this challenge in the past in various forms, and have failed miserably. Back in the day, this would have been nothing for me, but in my current life status, I suck at it.

The challenge itself is traditionally to read 52 books in a year (which is about a book a week). I've gotten close, but usually the end of the year holidays kick my ass since I'm with family (mainly my niece) and am too busy being with such splendid company to do any reading (though on the driver to and from Fresno, I usually bring some audiobooks to keep me entertained).

So on Goodreads, there's a challenge - a basic "how many books can you read in a year" challenge. You set your own challenge amount. I immediately wanted to try for 52 (go big or go home, right?), but I was wary since I had failed the previous year. Then I'd seen on a YouTube vid where some chic set a smaller number for the challenge since she tried for a higher number the previous year and failed. So her current goal was a couple books higher than what she actually read the previous year. I followed suit and did the same thing. My goal is 39, and currently I'm at 24.

*I'm also part of a 50/365 group on Facebook, but I'll update my list if it looks like I'm going to get to that goal. 

BOOKTOBER!!! 

I first heard of Booktober when I started watching Carrie Hope Fletcher's vids, and she was talking about the books that her viewers voted on that she read for for the month. (She also did some Dear Autumn vlogs which inspired me to do my Dear November posts last year... which I might do again this year.) Oh! And here's a bonus vid of her opening her Secret Book Santa presents. I'd really like to do one of those someday. And here's the site to Books Are My Bag... BAMB.

Essentially you pick 4 books to read for the month - one for each week.

  • "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess -- chosen mainly for Banned Book Week last week, but I thought I'd give myself a little longer to enjoy it.
  • "The Halloween Tree" by Ray Bradbury -- this is the October choice for the Facebook book group I moderate.
  • "The Aeronaut's Windlass" by Jim Butcher -- HUGE Butcher fan, and I've been waiting for this book to come out (as well as the next Dresden book). The book came out at the tail end of September and will be the November book for my Facebook group, but yeah... I don't think I'll really be willing to wait that long. (Snagged the audio from Jim G -- so if you're reading this Jimbo, thank you Fuzzy Lumpkins!!!)
  • undecided -- any suggestions? 

2015 READING CHALLENGE

A couple weeks or so ago, I found a book challenge on Pinterest. I posted it to my Facebook Bookgroup in case any of them were interested. I printed out a copy for myself and went though my Goodreads book challenge list to see what I'd read so far this year. Some of the titles fit in multiple slots. Is that cheating? Don't really care to be perfectly honest since the challenge didn't say I couldn't do that. (Also I'd seen some readers via YouTube do multiple 'read-a-thons' in a month and use some of the same books to overlap... so why can't I?)

Below are what I can come up with so far. There are some that I have NO idea what to do with (like "a book you mom loves" (she doesn't really read for recreation) or "a book that takes place in your hometown" (Fresno?) or "a book more than 100 years old" (okay, this one I could probably find, I think) or "a book written by an author with your same initials" (this might be a challenge in itself).

I'm open to suggestions here.
  • A book with more than 500 pages "Cold Days" by Jim Butcher
  • A classic romance
  • A book that became a movie "I Am Legend"by Richard Matheson
  • A book published this year "Grey" by E.L. James
  • A book with a number in the title "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James
  • A book written by someone under 30
  • A book with nonhuman characters "Cold Days" by Jim Butcher
  • A funny book "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson
  • A book by a female author "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson
  • A mystery or thriller
  • A book with a one-word title "Lazarus" by Greg Rucka
  • A book of short stories
  • A book set in a different country
  • A nonfiction book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt
  • A popular author's first book 
  • A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet
  • A book a friend recommended "The Martian" by Andy Weir
  • A Pulitzer Prize-winning book
  • A book based on a true story "Wishful Drinking" by Carrie Fisher
  • A book at the bottom of your to-read list
  • A book your mom loves
  • A book that scares you
  • A book more than 100 years old
  • A book based entirely on its cover
  • A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't
  • A memoir "Wishful Drinking" by Carrie Fisher
  • A book you can finish in a day
  • A book with antonyms in the title "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt
  • A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
  • A book that came out the year you were born
  • A book with bad reviews
  • A trilogy "Fifty Shade" trilogy by E.L. James
  • A book from your childhood
  • A book with a love triangle
  • A book set in the future
  • A book set in high school
  • A book a color in the title "Grey" by E.L. James
  • A book that made you cry "Skin Game" by Jim Butcher
  • A book with magic "Cold Days" by Jim Butcher
  • A graphic novel "Locke & Key: Volume 3: Crown of Shadows" by Joe Hill
  • A book by an author you've never read before "Beautiful Bastard" by Christina Lauren
  • A book you own but have never read
  • A book that takes place in your hometown
  • A book that was originally written in a different language
  • A book set during Christmas
  • A book written by an author with your same initials
  • A play
  • A banned book
  • A book based on or turned into a TV show
  • A book you started but never finished
Okay. I think that's enough for now. If anyone has any suggestions for any books to read for the above challenges, feel free to let me know.
Later my lovelies.

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment