Saturday, January 21, 2012

Insomnia's A Bitch, But At Least It's Raining

I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest.  Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round. 
-Muhammad Ali

Sitting in my room (chillin' like a villain) and drinking a couple beers while I listen to the rain.

Ahhh yes, the rain.  It makes me happy. 

You know what also makes me happy?  Writing!  (And I've been doing a lot of that lately.)

So when I finished my Jacob story about a week ago, I immediately thought It's time to start on my other writing.  Trouble was... I couldn't decide on where to start (and I REALLY wanted to).

My solution?  I made a list of all my story blogs and the date of the last post.  Since then, I've been working my way from oldest to most recent.

First up was Stoically Challenged, the last post being June 28th of last year.  Alithea S. had started posting homework assignments again and told Kathy W. to tell me that I was slacking.  (I was, but it's good to get a little friendly poke every now and then.

Yeah, I know how that sounds.  Anyway, moving on...

I'm behind on a lot of her other homework assignments, but I got into the habit of not doing hers in order so even though I got the new assignment, I ended up doing an older one and four days after "Jacob", I wrote "Rest Stop" which is a continuation of "Out For A Drive" which I thought just going to be some random one-shot kind of thing, but nope.  I wrote more... and even gave the chic a name.  (Go ahead and applaud if for nothing else than to make my ego feel loved.)

Also on the same day, I posted another segment for Sanya (last updated on June 29, 2011) called "A Story To Tell".  I had to go back, as with other story blogs, and take some quick notes to remind myself what people looked like and their names and all that.

I'm pretty fly for a slant-eye!  (LOL!  It just popped into my head and made me laugh so I wrote it.  And if you don't like it?  Tough!  I'm Asian.  Get over it!)

The next story blog I tackled was a boy, a girl, and a line... (which was last updated on July 13, 2011).  This story blog is similar to Stoically Challenged except for some reason, I feel the need to do the assignments in order (all of which I got back in the Spring of 2010).

See?  Slacker!  *grin*

The next prompt up on the writing block came from my friend Chris C. who gave me the very first prompt that started this story blog in the first place - "The Assignment".  The rule was if you already gave me a prompt, and I wrote a story for it, you could give me another one (if you wanted to). 

And so he did.

The prompt alone sounded rather science fiction B-movie, and I had originally meant to make it as campy and cheesy as possible... but then things took a turn (not sure for the better or worse), and a day later, I ended up with "Not In the Moo'd". 

If your brain melts out of your ear and your eyeball slide out... blame him.

On the same day, I posted "Romantically Hopeless" on The Curly Muse (which I hadn't posted to since September 22, 2011).  I had actually written a good chunk of the poem the night before in a stream of consciousness kind of thing.  I figured since I hadn't written a poem in a while, why not post that?  It felt like something was missing, but I tweaked it in the end.  I'm not all that sure it's any good, but I like it.

Number Five on this countdown goes to Della.  The last post was from October 2, 2011, and a day later after my poem and "I blame Chris C. if this sucks" story, I posted Part Three of this story.

The following day I posted Part Nineteen to The Strange Adventures of Princess Blue (which I last posted on October 3, 2011). 

I'm hoping it makes my "Girlfriend" Kathy W. happy.  (Perhaps I'll make it into a children's book someday... maybe... perhaps... I have no idea.)

The day after I posted more "strange adventures" for Princess Blue, I posted Part Five of Tales of the Unemployed and Unloved.  (In case you can't tell, I started writing this story whilst depressed.  Ain't life grand?  It hands you shitty lemons, and you make stories out of them.)

Where's my beer?

Found it.

(gulp, gulp...)  Ahhhh, refreshing.

Where was I?  Ah yes, I was where I was now... which is working on something for Real-Life I (just) Made Up.  This story blog had originally started out to be something completely different and is now kind of like "Tales..." but not.  As it is, I'm trying not to have anything weird happen in that story since everything else seems to have some odd angle or twist in it (for those familiar with my writing know what I'm talking about), but it's really hard.  For some reason, my brain wants to take reality and shake it up a bit.  Right now, when I think of that story, it makes me think of Lemony Snicket's "Series of Unfortunate Events". 

I keep thinking of the first chapter of the first book "Bad Beginnings":

If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book. In this book, not only is there no happy ending, there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle. This is because not very many happy things happened in the lives of the three Baudelaire youngsters. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire were intelligent children, and they were charming, and resourceful, and had pleasant facial features, but they were extremely unlucky, and most everything that happened to them was rife with misfortune, misery, and despair. I'm sorry to tell you this, but that is how the story goes.

Granted my story is about a girl named Arwyn and not the three Baudelaire orphans, but I get an "unhappy ending" feeling about Arwyn and her story just the same.  For some reason when my brain entertains the notion of making the story weird and fantasy horror.  It's like she can't be happy or happy things can't happen to her if I keep it in reality.  There has to be some strange otherworldly reason she's suffering and once she slays the dragon or finds the magical tome or save some kingdom from an age old curse... then, and only then, will she find true happiness and happiness will be thrust upon her.

Did anyone else read the subtext of that bit as "the writer's got issues and needs serious help"?  Or was that just me?

Anyway...

I have three more story blogs (one not so story blog) to write something for, and everything will be all caught up as of this month.

Wow!  I'm kind of excited. 

Hello sense of accomplishment.  Wanna buy me a drink?

I know I've babbled about this before, but it'd be nice if I had followers/subscribers/whatever.  There are days when I post something, and I feel a little lonely and sad since I know only a few people read the stuff I write and they leave comments on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter where I post notices saying "Hey!  Come read this thing I wrote!"

Oh to have followers.

Oh to have a writing job.

Oh to have a job.

Anyway, enough daydreaming. 

I've taken my notes on the next story blog and have a few ideas, but I have some plans this weekend so I might not get to it until a few days from now.

Or if my insomnia takes hold again (as it has been A LOT lately), maybe sooner than that.

All righty.  Time to plot... and (maybe) sleep.

Later my lovelies!

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment