Friday, April 29, 2011

Knock Knock. (Who's there?) Accomplishment!

You ever had a Red Bull? I've never had a Red Bull before, but I had a Red Bull last night - I really like Red Bull. [shakes his glow-in-the-dark hoop] ... got this new... glow in the dark thing... cant really see it right now, unless you go like this...
[
holds part of the hoop to his eyes and covers it with his hands]  
~Carl Allen from the movie "Yes Man"

Hey listen y'all!  I've been productive!  Yay!  I'm so proud of me.

So with my goal of being published in some capacity or another by my 35th birthday (which is this November), I have been trying to kick my own ass and get to writing more.

As I look for work (FRAK you unemployment, I'm awesome!), I've been trying to be more productive.  Insomnia (the cursed bitch) has come back to visit me again leaving me awake until (almost) the sun comes up.  After giving myself a little time off, I started setting my alarm to get up earlier than I usually do (which with the insomnia leaving me awake to almost sunrise, my body, when eventually unconscious, makes up for whatever it needs to function resulting in a day wasted... at least that's what it feels like.)

Not sure they've been helping either, but I've been tapping the ass of the sugar free Red Bull (it seems they're on sale everywhere I go).  I purchase two cans and down one on the way to the library finishing it usually before I park.  Then I just lug a protein bar and a big bottle of water in with me for nourishment for my vitamins to feed off of as well as hydrate my creativity nodes.

What?  (Don't ask.  It's safer that way.)

Moving onwards...

So alarm set, I wake up, shower, pack some gear and head to the library to do some writing.

Small rant here, but aren't you supposed to be quiet at a library?  I mean, that's what I was always taught.  And depending on when I go, I get a reasonably quiet atmosphere save the occasional self-checkout bleeps or soft thud of book deposits.  I go in with my iPhone on silent, volume off on the computer and set to work.

I give people chances when it comes to common sense.  I don't want to assume right away that everyone is a doofus that needs a good backhand across the gullet to set them straight.  Sort of like that teacher philosophy of everyone starting off with an "A", and they have to earn to keep that "A".

If I were a teacher and my fellow library visitors were my students, they'd all lose their "A" within seconds.

Stupid scruples FAIL!

In the times that I've gone recently, I've been bombarded by a chaotic symphony of various cell phone chimes, computer jingles and random blathering chatter.  And it's not the high school students either.  (There's a high school down the street from the library where, after their day is over, a cluster of them come to the library - most to study or wait for their parents to pick them up.  Some of them are annoying, but mostly they're not that bad.)  It's the adults!

Perhaps I should warm up my backhand...

I bring my mp3 player just in case to tune out the noise... which isn't all day.  It comes in waves.  (I love the quiet moments.  They are most lovely.)

So in the days that I've been going, I've been working on my NaNoWriMo novel.  I transported it to Google docs recently (any other writers use this?) though I haven't added the scene I've been working on separately.  It's only until recently (Wednesday, I think), that I actually made the scene reasonably gel together as opposed to just be chunks of one scene that if you were to read it wouldn't make sense.

That made me feel rather accomplished.

I also solved my frakkin storyline math problem.  Thank GAWD!!!

It had to do with the main character, and my brain just couldn't work past it.  I would make a note to go back to it, but then I'd hit something later down the line, and then my brain would say, "Hello?  Remember that thing you didn't workout earlier?  Yeah, it's back."

My brain likes telling me "I told you so" even though I already know.  I wish it'd stop doing that.  Ugh, if I didn't need it...  *grumble grumble grumble*

So I realize now that while working on my novel, there's a small chance I won't finish it (or my other novel I'm also working on in a sort of tennis volley fashion).  Then I think I should probably find some short story contests to possibly submit to.  I recently bought two writing magazines.  I shall need to peruse them for contests or some such.

Silly question but... do magazines take submissions of the "please publish this in your publication" variety or is it strictly a contest thing?  I have no idea how to go about that.  Help?  Anyone?  I'd totally love a little guidance here.

I'm currently thinking about the scene from Wednesday.  It's not totally done, and my mind is racing with what to do with it.  I know what I'd like to do, but I've reached another roadblock which might seem silly to you, but it's where I'm at (and it's important to me).

I need to design the houses.

Okay, for the two main characters, I need to figure out the layout of their houses.  They're both one level.  One's got a porch and a separate garage from the house.  And a nice backyard for bbq's.  The other one just has a sort of small porch, not the kind you can sit on in a rocking chair and enjoy a glass of lemonade or something, but big enough to maybe set a decent sized Christmas decoration like a Santa or Snowman or something.

Yeah, I'm babbling.

Anyway, the scene from Wednesday needs a little choreography (Person goes down this hall to this room, cuts back around, hits the kitchen, then goes to the bedroom, etc).  I need to know where everything is so I can guide my people around better.  I might need to do that to another couple houses, but the houses that are most frequented belong to the two main characters.

All right, it's a quarter after 2am, and I really should be hitting the sack.  I have two places to go tomorrow - one in the morning and one in the afternoon - and I'm trying to decide if I have time to hit the library or perhaps chill at a coffee shop before heading out to my afternoon dealio.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

All I know is that I need more places to go write (other than the one library).  There's a coffee shop that I went to (think I previously mentioned it in one of the previous entries).  That places is peaceful, free wifi, and has COFFEE!!!  Plus the dude is hella nice.  Problem is it's a little out of the way, and closes earlier than I'd like.  The library stays open until 8pm on Mondays and Tuesdays.  The coffee shop closes most days around 5pm.

Anyone in the Bay Area know of a nice place with free wifi, tables, chairs, and outlets where a girl can hook-up and write?  Holla at yer girl!  Let me know.  I'd sure appreciate it.

Okay, off to beddy bye.

Later my lovelies!

Have Goodness!
Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment